Monday, November 06, 2006


Do you remember my entry last August 14, 2006? I mentioned there how F stood for French at the time, and how I wanted to work hard at turing that F into a C+ by the end of the semester. Before my final exam, I found out that the highest possible grade I could get, short of a miracle, would be a C. Lucky for me, a miracle indeed happened, and I got a C+ for French class. I believe that my studying really hard, being very attentive in class, and being very nice to my teacher all contributed to the higher mark. I just noticed now that a 'C+' when rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise looks like a smiley face with a cross on top of it. God was happy with all the effort I put into my French class, so he rewarded me with a C+.

In the same way, he was even happier with my efforts in Theology, and I got a B for my final grade in that subject. The way my grades were going, I was expecting a C+. Like in French class, I studied really hard (except for the final exam), payed really close attention in class, and was very nice to my teacher. It feels quite ironic to me that showing much respect to someone everybody hates a lot would lead to my getting a good grade in Theology. However, even if I was under a different teacher, I believe that I would have gotten a B or even higher than a B since I am really a very devout Catholic. I have always gotten grades of over 90 in Chrisitian Life Education when I was in high school, and I constantly join and participate in religious/service organizations.

If there was one subject in which I believe to be deserving of the grade I got, no luck/divine intervention involved is in my Introduction to Literature and Creative Writing Class. I was under Sir D.M. Reyes, who is considered 'a god' by some of his former students. I remember him saying around a month ago that if every he gives one of his students a C (or C+; I'm not sure which) or lower, that person should just shift out of BFA Creative Writing because he or she has no future as a writer. Thus, getting a grade lower than B in his subject became my greatest fear. I was able to do well in my former English and Literature classes with Sir Vincenz Serrano and Sir Max Pulan Jr., but Sir Reyes's class was a bigger challenge.

This challenge was made even greater when my essay on Chinese culture in my family (see September 20, 2006 entry) angered my parents, and they did not want me to re-submit it anymore. I talked to Sir Reyes about this when Isel, Cat, Yaps, and I went to see him a day before the final portfolio was due. He told me that the problem I was facing, was one of the biggest probems writers come to face in their careers. He would rather I still edited my essay, and submit it to him. But he would not take it against me, if I decided not to do so. Taking the biggest risk towards possibly dissapointing him, I did not submit a revised version of my essay on Chinese culture in my family. Instead, I replaced it with a brand new non-fiction narrative centered on how I came to be a creative writer. I do not know if my decision was the better one between the two choices, but Sir Reyes gave a B+ for my final grade. And that already says a lot.

Last semester, I got a QPI rating of 3.17, my highest rating ever. As of now the future looks bright for me. My grades are better than ever before, my leadership responsibilities are currently under control, and I am carrying a very positive outlook on life as I enter into this new semester. All this thanks to God (special thanks to GENREV), my old friends (especially my CW blockmates!!!), my new friends (from ASLA!!!), and of course, my family as well.


all the colors so pretty 6:47 p.m.


links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment

Profile


"Be anyone you want to be
Bring to life your fantasies
But I want something in return
I want you to burn, burn for me baby
Like a candle in my night
Oh burn
Burn for me
Burn for me."
- 'Burn' by Tina Arena

Linkage

[+] Cece
[+] April
[+] Jev
[+] Nikay
[+] Sam P
[+] Sasha

Tag!



Archives

July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
July 2007


Misc

this table extends forever -i hope- so do whatever you want with the space.:)

Layout©syrianwind