Thursday, August 17, 2006


Before my history report a few days ago, Cat asks me whether I have a good antivirus protection. I had an updated version of Norton Antivirus Protection, and I told her so. To this she replied that her usb stick (or pen drive as Kaka likes to call it) contains lots of viruses like trojans and stuff like that. Confident in Norton's ability to zap trojans like it did the viruses from the UP Diliman shopping center, I was not the least bit worried.

Today, during sir DM's class, I volunteered my laptop to be used by the three reporters: Cat, Karyl, and Dom. Dom reported first, and as she was about to remove her pen drive (it does sound much nicer =p) a warning which said something like "USB cannot be safely removed at this time" appeared. This persisted all throughout the reports, leading to Cat concluding that there was something wrong with my laptop (her name [my laptop's name] is Luna [I love the moon and stars]).

Earlier this same day, Cat was narrating to April and I how her laptop was being attacked by a virus. This virus made her laptop reset itself unceasingly every time she turned it on. As a result of this, she plans to reformat her laptop (assuming it stays on long enough). This lead to Cat's having to redo her powerpoint presentation on my laptop, and using it for her report.

Later on, in the afternoon, I was in the Sanggu room when I decided to check on my laptop myself. I scanned it for viruses, but Norton could not detect any. However, I inserted my very own pen drive into my laptop. Then I attempted to take it out, but the same warning appeared again. My "USB cannot be safely removed." Luckily, Katrina Luna (my laptop is not named after her =p) read an email about a recent virus plaguing the Ateneo campus. According to her, being unable to remove pen drives the proper way is one of the first symptoms of that virus. Furthermore, as the virus gets worse, it will automatically shut down or restart the laptop.

This means that Cat and I have the same virus attacking our laptops, and not even the ever powerful Norton can do anything about it. It is a good thing that the kind technicians in the CTC computer lab can. I asked them where I could find the antivirus, and they told me that they could fix my laptop, and clean my pen drive (which got infected while I was in the Sanggu room) for me. Now, my laptop is virus free, or at least I hope it is.

I warned Karyl and Dom about the virus lurking within their pen drives, waiting for the chance to swim through electroning waves into their computers and laptops. Hopefully, they heeded my warning, especially Dom who did not reply to my messages. I also told them, how they can have their pen drives cleansed of the killer virus from hell (hell being the person who created the virus). I told Cat about how I was able to save my laptop too, and I hope that it is not to late to save hers.


all the colors so pretty 8:31 p.m.


links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment

Profile


"Be anyone you want to be
Bring to life your fantasies
But I want something in return
I want you to burn, burn for me baby
Like a candle in my night
Oh burn
Burn for me
Burn for me."
- 'Burn' by Tina Arena

Linkage

[+] Cece
[+] April
[+] Jev
[+] Nikay
[+] Sam P
[+] Sasha

Tag!



Archives

July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
July 2007


Misc

this table extends forever -i hope- so do whatever you want with the space.:)

Layout©syrianwind