Tuesday, December 05, 2006


I just finished reading The Shipping News by Annie Proulx this morning. For a novel that was awarded the nobel prize for literature, it sure does not live up to my expectations. I found it quite boring for the most part. And the very odd grammar use and sentence construction only worsened my reading experience. I could have actually finished it yesterday if my head did not feel as if a nail was being hammered into it 50 pages before the end of the text.

I finally got my hands on a copy of The Beach by Alex Garland. I have always wanted to buy the book, but I never got around to purchasing it. At present, I believe that the only bookstore selling copies of the novel is Powerbooks in Shangrila. There it is being sold for around 750 pesos each. Luckily, I found out that my cousin has a copy of the book, and that I could borrow it from him for free. And that's excactly what I did. I hope the novel is as good as people say it is, unlike The Shipping News, which was greatly dissapointing.

Before reading Annie Proulx's work, I read a novel by Ha Jin entitled Waiting. The book started out alright, and although it became a bit dragging in the middle part, it redeemed itself in the end. The insight which the main character gains at the end of the story was built up so well in the text, that one actually craves to know the ending by the time it finally comes. And unlike some stories which dissapoint the reader with a horrible and unfounded ending, this novel rewards the reader with the complete opposite -- an insight that can only come from a lifetime of waiting.


all the colors so pretty 12:46 p.m.


links to this post
Comments: Post a Comment

Profile


"Be anyone you want to be
Bring to life your fantasies
But I want something in return
I want you to burn, burn for me baby
Like a candle in my night
Oh burn
Burn for me
Burn for me."
- 'Burn' by Tina Arena

Linkage

[+] Cece
[+] April
[+] Jev
[+] Nikay
[+] Sam P
[+] Sasha

Tag!



Archives

July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
July 2007


Misc

this table extends forever -i hope- so do whatever you want with the space.:)

Layout©syrianwind